Modafinil Use in Australia
The public’s interest in nootropics (including modafinil) has grown dramatically. People seek strategies to raise their productivity to perform better at work, complete complex assignments or improve their creative process.
Unfortunately, modafinil rules in Australia are restrictive, but the medicine is easily obtained online if you know where to look.
Modafinil brand name in Australia and New Zealand
Modafinil may be purchased from chemists and pharmacies in Australia (and New Zealand) with a doctor’s prescription. Modavigil, manufactured by TEVA Pharmaceuticals, is the brand name version now marketed in Australia and New Zealand. Cephalon Inc. ‘s Alertec and Provigil are also available at some pharmacies.
Some Other Modafinil Names Modafinil Sold Under Includes:
- Modavinil (Centurion Remedies)
- Modalert (Sun Pharmaceuticals)
- Modvigil (HAB Pharmaceuticals)
- Alertec (Cephalon Inc)
- Provigil® (Cephalon Inc)
- Vilafinil (Centurian Labs)
- Modaheal (Healing Pharmaceuticals)
- Modafresh (Sunrise Pharmaceuticals)
- Modafil MD (INTAS)
- Modawake (HAB Pharmaceuticals)
Where Can I Purchase Modafinil in Australia?
Modafinil is purchased from pharmacies if you have a medication (Chemist shops). These suppliers are frequently expensive since they exclusively sell brand-name versions. In Australia, the most usual place to get modafinil is online.
Most internet merchants sell three types of modafinil (expensive Modavinil and Modalert brands and low-cost Modvigil). They also sell modafinil at a fraction of the price of brand-name equivalents and do not require a prescription.
Use of Modafinil
Modafinil has two main medicinal applications:
- It is used to treat sleep disorders such as narcolepsy.
- It is employed in the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
Modafinil is used to increase alertness and work productivity when studying or while travelling, where jet lag might otherwise cause productivity and job efficiency difficulties.
Off-label Modafinil Use Examples Include:
- Increased Productivity
- Assistance with late-night study sessions
- Putting through extended labor hours
- Sleep disorders among shift workers
- Minimizing the impact of jet lag
- The syndrome of chronic tiredness (CFS)
- Symptoms of Parkinsonism
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS) (the fatigue side effects)
- Myotonic dystrophy
- Opioid medication-induced sleep
Working of Modafinil
Modafinil acts on several brain receptors that are involved in the waking process. They raise dopamine and norepinephrine levels in the brain, increase orexin, a protein that regulates the waking component of the sleep-wake cycle, and raise histamine levels in the brain.
If all of these effects are combined, the sense of alertness increases. It can postpone the beginning of sleep for several hours successfully. Modafinil is comparable to other stimulants, such as coffee, amphetamine (Adderall), and methylphenidate (Ritalin), but fewer adverse effects.
How Can Companies Sell Modafinil Without a Prescription?
In Australia, if a company sells modafinil to those who do not have medication, they will face huge fines and might be shut down until they can rectify the situation. As a reason, no pharmacy or supplier in Australia will sell modafinil to anybody who does not have a prescription. Because of the internet, getting around is relatively simple.
Other nations, such as India and Mexico, do not have the same regulations. Modafinil is readily available from firms operating in these locations. When modafinil online Australia purchased, most of it originates from this source. Companies may purchase modafinil in large quantities from Indian producers and resell it to individuals worldwide.
Modafinil Legislation in Australia
In Australia, modafinil is recognized as a prescribing drug. Importing prescription medicines technically necessitates a copy of the prescription, which border security officers must verify before allowing the item to enter the nation.
These items are not thoroughly checked in most situations and are permitted to enter the nation without delay. However, in rare situations, border security authorities will recognize the shipment’s contents as modafinil and detain the item until a prescription is filed. If this does not occur, the contents are disposed of.
- Dackis, C. A., Kampman, K. M., Lynch, K. G., Pettinati, H. M., & O’brien, C. P. (2005). A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of modafinil for cocaine dependence. Neuropsychopharmacology, 30(1), 205.
- Krishnan, R., & Chary, K. V. (2015). A rare case modafinil dependence. Journal of pharmacology & pharmacotherapeutics, 6(1), 49.